WestCoastSledders: boondocker turbo - WestCoastSledders

WCS VISION STATEMENT
To Provide a Superior Platform that Inspires & Organizes Friends, Family & Future Friends to Grow Together Into a Healthy, Responsible Community Which Shares the Passion of Sustainable Outdoor Power Sports.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

boondocker turbo booooooost

#1 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Motocross, sleds, hunting, fishing, bbq, camping...pretty much anything outdoors!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Like the topic says...anyone on here have any experience with a boondocker turbo setup? I think I've ditched the idea of the NW turbo since they have been bought out, and the boondocker has a pretty sweet electronicly controlled wastegate that will adjust for altitude, as well as a happy button that will give you more boost on demand (after you program how much into the box)

I'm about a week away from snowchecking one from snow jw on snowest....just looking for some opinions before I pull the trigger. :fete12:

Plus if I decide to go with more boost I will be able to go up with the boondocker :steemer: ...not so much with the NW turbo since it was set for 10lbs max.
I'll take -6 degrees and powder over 80 degrees and sandy beaches any day of the week!

Boondocker Nytro with a few odds and ends.

#2 User is offline   SnowDevil 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

now were talking!!! good luck with it!
I havent had good luck with the boondocker service, actually wont use them again. just my experience. boost on!!
09 TM1200 "Goes places I wont" RIP
have lots of go fast parts for sale

12 m8 on its way

#3 User is offline   Tabasco 

• Site Contributor $$$
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Finding peace in life and hanging out with family and friends!!!!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

The guys at OVS seem to have their chit dialed in. There 1200 turbo is un Frekin real!!!! Good luck hangin on!!

#4 User is offline   SnowDevil 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

gonna try the little 1000 out sat. cant WAIT!

12 m8 on its way

#5 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Motocross, sleds, hunting, fishing, bbq, camping...pretty much anything outdoors!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

yeah right now I'm working on getting the misses to sign off on it...I'm winning this one, but its hard to justify that kind of money to her for a couple weeks of riding a year.

funny thing is...she was all okay with it until I had to explain how much a turbo costs when its all said and done.
I'll take -6 degrees and powder over 80 degrees and sandy beaches any day of the week!

#6 User is offline   SnowDevil 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Check out ovs great support couldn't be happier.
Power is addicting thank god its legal!

12 m8 on its way

#7 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

they have a website?

#8 User is offline   SnowDevil 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

http://ogdenvalleysports.com/

Call them up and ask for Travis,

12 m8 on its way

#9 User is offline   Tahoe Apex 

• Site Contributor $$$
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:2011 Can AM Renegade XXT 800
    2010 Polaris RZR 800
    2009 Nytro XTX Impulse Turbo
    2007 Apex MPI Supercharger
    2006 Apex 162
    2004 Chevy Duramax
    2003 Rx1 151
    1980 L82 Corvette
    1965 427 Shelby Cobra
    Bloodhounds

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

I went with an Impulse turbo on my Nytro XTX from Outlaw Motors. Ran flawless this winter. Paul from Impulse is coming up with a PG kit @ 17#.

#10 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

well I sent in my deposit for a spring check BD kit. I'm ordering through a good dealer that has a good relationship with the Boondocker folks as well as the timbersled shop where I'm going to do the install with their help this fall. I looked at the OVS stuff and they seem to be concentrated on 2stroke turbos, although I may end up using their control box if I dont like the BD one.

The thing that sold me on this kit is I can start on low boost with pump gas and step it up as I see fit, adding octane as the boost goes up. I considered running a headshim so I could be 100% on pump, but I really didn't want to lose any low end snap since that is one thing I love about my sled.

I'll post up more as I gather the rest of the parts for the kit....mostly just clutching stuff.

#11 User is offline   Tahoe Apex 

• Site Contributor $$$
  • PipPipPip
    2010 Polaris RZR 800
    2006 Apex 162
    2004 Chevy Duramax
    2003 Rx1 151
    1980 L82 Corvette
    1965 427 Shelby Cobra
    Bloodhounds

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

How much boost do you get with the kit?

#12 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

If you want to run without a headshim you can go low boost (5-8 or so) on pump fuel, run around 10-12 lbs on AV gas, and on full race you can run pretty much what you want. The kit comes with the bigger GT2860 turbo that is good for over 18lbs of boost. The nytro engine stock is limited to pushing 17lbs, anyone that went 18+ ended up snapping rods.

personally i'm probably going to run AV gas most of the time and around 10lbs...its not too expensive and I'll still get to run a fun amount of boost. On the big days I can always fill up with race fuel and bump up the boost if I need it.

#13 User is offline   Tahoe Apex 

• Site Contributor $$$
  • PipPipPip
    2010 Polaris RZR 800
    2006 Apex 162
    2004 Chevy Duramax
    2003 Rx1 151
    1980 L82 Corvette
    1965 427 Shelby Cobra
    Bloodhounds

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Cool!! Keep us posted. By the way, are you going for the head shim?

#14 User is offline   Anthony Oberti 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, hunting, fishing

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

You said you are getting the larger 2860? Are you sure about that? I run a 2871 on my 800 and Doug(SnowDevil) is running a 3071 on his 1000. The 2860 is a good turbo, but I would consider that one of the smallest Garrets made. And I am surprised if that turbo can push 18lbs safely. I could be way off the mark, but just my impression.
'13 Carl's Cycle Turbo Pro RMK

www.CarlsCycle.com
www.BoondockersMovie.com
www.HolzRacingProducts.com
www.Boondockers.com
www.Klim.com
www.SnowBigDeal.com
www.Timbersled.com
www.IceAgePerformance.com

#15 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

I'll keep you guys posted as I gather everything and put it together this fall. I'm not going to put in a headshim because I dont want to lose the low end snap...its one of the things I love about the sled. It means I'll have to run AV gas or race fuel but like they say...if you want to play you gotta pay.

AO I'm going to check on the Turbo, you are probably right on the size, I was just passing what I was told from the dealer.

#16 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

i looked up the Garett turbo website : Garett Turbos

I found some good info on their turbos as well:

A Guide To Garrett’s "GT" Model Numbers

GTxxyyzz:

Positions "xx" refers to the frame size of the turbine wheel inducer.
For example the "GT28" in "GT2860RS" refers to its turbine wheel frame size family. All GT28 units use a turbine wheel with 53.85mm inducer diameter
As a rule of thumb, the larger the number, the larger the turbine wheel.
Positions "yy" designate the compressor wheel exducer (major) diameter in millimeters
The "60" in the GT2860RS example above has a 60mm compressor wheel exducer diameter.
Note: Wheel sizes 100mm and over omit the "1" (hundreds digit)
Example: the 02 in a GT4202 refers to its 102mm compressor wheel exducer diameter
Positions "zz" may be used to designate special features of a particular turbocharger where applicable
Example: GT2860RS
"R" = this is a Ball Bearing unit
"S" = used for units which require some differentiation from units in the same family
Compare a GT2860R to a GT2860RS. While both are ball bearing and externally similar, the GT2860RS is better suited for higher-flow applications than the GT2860R. In this case, the S reflects the higher-flowing nature of the GT2860RS

The site lists 5 different turbos for the 2860, and 4 of the 5 say they are good for up to 360HP (I'm sure that depends on your application) the other turbo says it is good for 310HP. I think the dealer was just telling me that I am getting the larger of the 2860s (that can probably handle more boost). I'm waiting to hear back on which exact 2860 I'm getting as well as what kind of boost its cabable of pushing.

#17 User is offline   SnowDevil 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Now you can also change the exhaust housing itself and it changes the cfm which has another effect. Way to many options on these things thank god some guys get into changing them around to find out what runs best. its way to confusing! :1957[1]:

12 m8 on its way

#18 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

yeah no kidding! my hat is off to the guys out there doing R&D on these kits, as fun as it would be it has to be a TON of work testing out all the different setups to get the best results.

#19 User is offline   Jeff Sandgren 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Keep us posted on the kit. I'm going with an impulse kit for my Apex this season so I'll see how it goes. If you aren't totally set on the BD, you should take a look at the impulse kit for the Nytro, real nice setup with the turbo coming off the header for pretty much 0 lag. I know Paul is working on a full stand alone fuel system and has been testing it like crazy all over Utah, and just got back from Revy. He's running 17psi on pump and is pulling like his race kits he does. Something to look at anyways:

www.impulseturbo.com

He just sets you up with a lot of goodies with the surge tank, larger fuel tank, etc. And has a nice chart for the clutching he uses for different elevation/boost levels with the supertips on the primary and the adjustable helix. Real nice guy to talk to.
2006 Yamaha Apex - Impulse turbo @ 15psi, 162" Challenger Extreme, Timbersled Barkbuster Front - SOLD
2011 PRO RMK 163" - Silber Turbo

#20 User is offline   motojuknie101 

• Site Contributor $
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

Looking at the site they are running a headshim...I could be running pump as well if I use a headshim. I know the MCX pump gas kits use them and they run around 15lbs. I've been told you get a little more on top but you lose some snap off the bottom and i want to avoid that since I boondock a lot. The other rumor is that with a headshim you have to run a couple more pounds of boost to get the same HP numbers as a sled with no shim...which makes sense because you are lowering the compression. I like the surge tank, but everything else looks pretty similar to the BD kit. They even run the GT2860RS. I have heard they pull pretty strong, but since I already sent in my $$ to spring check the boondocker I'm committed to it. Plus the price I'm paying with guages and mounts is close to 800 less than the impluse kit.

as for clutching I'm going with the shockwave helix and supertips too....it will make it alot easier to get the clutching dialed in.

another thought crossed my mind...I should probably pony up and get some avid drivers too.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users